Houston is a great city to live in. In fact, it was just recently announced one of the best cities to live in, out of a list of the top 100 cities in the US.
That being said, the cost of living in Huston have gone up dramatically in recent years. Housing prices in the city of Huston are soaring to never-seen-before levels, and it is generally not as affordable as it used to be.
As more Texans fall on challenging financial times times, they need places they can turn to for help.
One of the most popular places that people turn to is called Catholic Charities of Houston.
The organization provides assistance to thousands of people each year in Houston, if you need help, they are there for you as well.
The Catholic Charities of Houston also serves the Galveston area. The faith-based organization is part of a country-wide one that helps people in every state.
Catholic Charities is affiliated with the Roman Catholic Church and was started over 100 years ago.
Their mission is to help low-income people be able to get their basic needs met and to help people rise up from poverty.
Each year, this particular Catholic Charities helps over 100,000 people.
Not only do they provide people with resources to meet their basic needs, but they also help them with services that will provide long-term relief.
They provide case management to help ensure that people who need help are given it and the tools that they will help them become more self-sufficient.
Programs Offered at Catholic Charities of Houston
There are numerous programs offered at this Catholic Charities location.
Some of them include helping people with food, clothing, utility assistance, mental health screenings and counseling, veteran services, immigration and refugee services, senior services, disaster recovery, housing assistance, and services for pregnant women.
They can even help you with paying debts, applying for food stamps , and a lot more.
If you live in the Houston area and need help meeting your basic needs, they will provide the assistance.
This location offers people help by providing a food pantry and distribution, and family assistance care. If you have children and need help they also have programs geared toward helping them.
To obtain help from Catholic Charities in Houston, you can call them, Monday through Friday, from 8 am to 5 pm. You can also email them to request assistance.
They do also provide a free 24-hour helpline for those who need immediate assistance.
Their food distribution services allow people to shop for their own groceries by appointment. They also hold community food fairs, where they give boxes of food away to those in need.
Additional Helpful Charities in Houston
A good first place to start when looking for help is reaching out to Catholic Charities, but there are others that you can contact as well.
If you are in Houston and need financial assistance, try to also contact the charities below for help.
- United Way of Greater Houston – This organization has locations around the country. They provide a wide variety of assistance programs and information about programs that you may be able to utilize in your area. They can help with such things as food, clothing, transportation, bill payment services, housing and homelessness, and more.
- Interfaith Ministries for Greater Houston – This interfaith-based charity helps people in the Houston area with a variety of issues, including providing meals on wheels, refugee services, women’s programs, and more. They also provide a meals on wheels program, where they deliver free meals to seniors in need.
- Houston Children’s Charity – This program is specifically for the children who live in the Houston area who are in need of help. They focus on programs that help local children who have been abused, underprivileged, and who are disabled. Some of the things they will do for children are to provide them with bedding, school supplies, clothing, meals, and more.
- Christian Community Service Center – This program helps people with their basic needs. They also provide workforce programs, disaster relief assistance, and children’s programs. Their basic needs program provides people with a food pantry, limited financial assistance, and helpful resources.
- Memorial Assistance Ministries – This program helps people in the Houston area with basic needs, clothing, disaster assistance, and employment services.
Catholic Charities of Houston does a lot of good work to help people in need.
You can reach out to them for assistance, as well as the others on the list.
There’s no limit to how many organizations can help you at one time, so see what each one can do to help ensure your basic needs are being met.
If you receive assistance at these programs keep in mind that you will not ever have to pay them back. The help is considered a gift to help people in the community.
When and if you are ever able to, you can always pay it forward to help someone else in need.
The Bottom Line
As a Huston resident, you have multiple organizations and charities that will be glad to help out, should you need financial help.
We highly recommend contacting all of them, tell them your story, explain what kind of help you need, and you will get it.
Stay positive, even though we know its hard at times, and things will get better.
We pray for you and your family and ask that you share this post via social media so we can help more people in need.