It was recently ranked #93 in the best places to live in the US, but some residents will beg to differ.
Some of the residents of Baton Rouge, experience extremely harsh financial times, some can’t even afford to pay rent.
When this happens it is important to know where to turn for financial assistance.
By knowing which places can provide assistance, you will be able to ensure that your basic needs are being met.
Many people turn to Catholic Charities of Baton Rouge when they experience financial challenges.
Catholic Charities of Baton Rouge is part of a larger network that has over 3,000 locations in the country.
In each state they offer locations that provide programs to help the people in the community.
The help they provide to people costs nothing to the person receiving it, and it’s not a loan, so nothing has to ever be paid back. It’s a good charity to know about if you need help, so you can contact them for assistance.
Catholic Charities in Baton Rouge, LA
Catholic Charities of Baton Rouge is one of the oldest Catholic Charities locations in the country.
It was started in 1805, with the purpose of helping people overcome poverty and homelessness.
Today, it helps thousands of people each year, by providing them with food, shelter, clothing, counseling, and more. There are several programs being offered at this location.
If they don’t have a program in place to help with your particular need, they can likely refer you to a place that can help you.
Some of the programs offered at Catholic Charities of Baton Rouge include:
- Mental health counseling. They provide adoption-related counseling, post-abortion counseling, and behavioral health counseling services to those in the community who need it.
- Immigration and refugee services. This program helps provide refugee resettlement help, immigration legal services, and employment services.
- Family and individual services. There are a variety of programs for family and individuals, including maternity services, disaster assistance, early childhood education, prison ministry, homelessness prevention, and employment services.
- Transitional Housing. They provide a program that gives transitional housing to women who are over the age of 18 and are pregnant and homeless. They also have a program to help men who have been released from prison, and a program to help families with their transitional housing needs.
- Senior services. They offer a foster grandparent program, where seniors can play the role of grandparents in the lives of at risk children. They can take that time to teach them to read, provide tutoring, etc.
In addition to Catholic Charities of Baton Rouge, there are other charitable organizations that provide assistance. By contacting several places you should be able to ensure that your basic needs are being met.
Local Charitable Organizations in Baton Rouge
These are additional charitable organizations that are in Baton Rouge. They each offer programs to help people in the community. Find the ones that are close to you and reach out to them to see if they can help with your situation.
- Greater Baton Rouge Food Bank. This is an organization that focuses on providing food for people in the Baton Rouge area. They also provide food to other location pantries, shelters, meal sites, etc.
- Client Choice Food Pantry. This organization provides a food pantry that is set up like a grocery store. People can shop in the pantry and choose the items they feel they want or need. They also provide a program to help people with work skills so they can get a job and become self sufficient.
- Lean On Me. This is an organization that provides a shelter for transitional housing for single women who are between the ages of 18 and 65.
- Salvation Army. This is a faith-based organization that has locations around the country. They offer people free food, hot meal service, shelters, clothing, utility payment assistance, and more.
- Bishop Ott Shelter. This organization provides shelters for men, women, and children. They help people who are experiencing homelessness.
The Bottom Line
Due to the recent inflation in the US, and the rising cost of living in Louisana specifically, its easy to fall behind on your bills.
If you or your family are currently having rough financial times – we pray for you.
Be sure to reach out the organizations listed to get help with your situation.
There has to be some that provide the type of help you need.
Additionally, you can contact churches in your area for help. Many local churches offer programs to help people in the community, providing them with free meals, boxes of food, clothing, furniture, bill payment assistance, and more.
The places you contact, the better position you will be in to get assistance and ensure your needs are all being met.